Volunteer Mentors Needed
If you can read this, please help someone who can't ...
40% of people in Alberta communities struggle with basic reading and writing. This is a fact.
We are recruiting tutors year round.
If you think you can help, or want to learn more about becoming a tutor, contact us now 1-888-578-3817 or 403-578-3817.
Know that our brave learners are grateful for every hour you give.
- adult has very poor literacy skills
- adult may not understand the dosage instructions on a medicine label
- adult can deal only with material that is simple, clearly laid out, and in which the tasks involved are not too complex
- adult can read and has coping skills to manage everyday literacy skills, but may not be able to face new literacy demands such as learning new job skills
- is considered a suitable minimum for coping with demands of everyday life and work in a complex, advanced society
- denotes roughly the level needed to complete high school or enter college
- describes adults who demonstrate a good command of higher-order information processing skills
Unemployment rates across Canada for students without a high school diploma were 21.3% in 2008/09 and 10% for high school graduates.
"Family attitude toward education is a major determinant of how children fare in school. Where families are disengaged, or place less value on education, schools must make them part of the equation in keeping their children motivated and learning."